2024 Camp Black Needle Society Retreat Registration Fee
Join us for our "On Holiday" themed retreat this summer! We'll be celebrating a variety of holidays throughout the weekend.
This listing is for a single seat at the 2024 Black Needle Society Retreat. This is NOT for a retreat in a box. Any swag from this event will not be mailed to you, and this should not be purchased if you do not plan on attending the retreat.
If this retreat sells out, you can join our waitlist and you will be notified if a space becomes available. First come first serve, and you will have 48 hours to respond to our email.
Camp BNS 2024 Dates: August 1-4. The stitching room will be opening at 2p.m. on August 1.
Location: The Drury, Inn and Suites, 20300 E 42nd St S, Blue Springs, MO 64015
Your fee includes:
A new exclusive project from The Black Needle Society, and the annual Snail kit
a Camp T-Shirt
a single seat in the stitching room for the weekend
entry for giveaways
- and more!
This one-time fee does NOT include the cost of the hotel, travel, food, or any other costs you have during your stay. You are responsible for making your hotel reservations. You are responsible for finding your own roommate, however we will have a Facebook group, and will include a “Roommate Finder” post to facilitate matching up stitchers.
We have an exclusive rate with the hotel for the weekend. Double Queen rooms are available for an average of $149 per night (The rate fluctuates based on the day of the stay). You may have up to four people in a room, however additional fees may apply.
Our check-in time is 3:00 PM, check-out time is 11:00 AM. All guests arriving before 3:00 PM will be accommodated as rooms become available.
The Stitching Room:
- Registration: Thursday, 2p.m.- 4p.m. After this time, you must find a member of the BNS staff to check in.
- The stitching room (Main Ballroom) (T) 2 p.m.- 10:30 p.m. (F, Sa) 8 a.m.- 10:30 p.m. (Su) 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- The shopping room hours: (T) 8 p.m.- 10 p.m. (F) 8:00 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Late Night Stitching- You may use the hotel’s lobby accommodations to stitch after the official room has closed.
Activities, Agenda, & Important Info for Attendees
We will be opening official retreat activities with a welcome meeting on Thursday night at 7pm in the Stitching Room. Games, prizes and shenanigans shall ensue! A schedule will be provided within the Facebook group.
- Classes! We will have at least 2 classes available for additional class fees. C.C. Gilmore will be teaching beginner sock knitting, and Laura Landis will be teaching Biscornu finishing. We are still finalizing details for materials for both of these classes, but more information, including cost, will be provided soon to all camp attendees.
Local Stores—We have two shops near the retreat location. We recommend visiting both of these locations during your stay as they are 10-15 minutes away from the hotel:
C.C. and Company in Blue Springs, Missouri- A shop dedicated to cross stitch and framing
Quilter’s Station in Lee’s Summit, Missouri- A shop focusing on quilting fabrics, however it has a selection of newer patterns, a large selection of pre-cut cross stitch fabrics from makers such as R&R, Picture This Plus, Fiber on a Whim, and Fox and Rabbit.
For the quilter’s among you, Missouri Star Quilt Co. is between an hour to an hour and a half drive from the hotel. It has 12 different quilt shops altogether on the same street.
We plan on having available space for attendees to set up as vendors during this retreat. You must contact us in advance to let us know you would like to be a vendor. Vendors do not pay an additional fee, but we do ask that you donate $25 worth of shop merchandise for prizes. Please email us at BNSocietyHelp@gmail.com to let us know you would like space as a vendor and what you intend to sell. We will send out an email in March to all vendors to confirm your product space needs. All vendors will be guaranteed the same amount of space as the room allows. Vendors will be considered on a first come, first serve basis.
Brag Table (optional)
We will have tables set up to show off your gorgeous work! We encourage you to bring your FFOs and finished (but not framed or fully finished) projects to lay out and let others see. We encourage you to include a card with your name, your table number, information about the piece such as designer, and title of the pattern, and any customizations you made. (We will have cards available to fill out with this information if you forget to bring one).
Freebie Table (optional)
Bring any stash you are ready to pass along to a new home including charts, floss, fabric, notions, frames, finished pieces, etc. Anything that does not find a new home during the weekend will be donated to various cross stitch programs.
We also recommend bringing any projects you do not believe you will finish stitching for one reason or another. Projects can be "adopted" by other stitchers at the retreat.
Ornament Exchange (optional)
Our theme for this year’s smalls exchange is Ornaments! We will ask you to help us decorate the space for the retreat by showing off your stitched ornament for exchange during the weekend on our various Trees in the room. We will have multiple holidays represented, and a tree for ornaments relating to unusual/no holidays.
Your finished piece must be no larger than 4” x 4”. We ask that the finishing be a reasonable size as some will be packing these into already overflowing suitcases at the end of the retreat, and airline restrictions.
Gift Exchange (optional)
We know many of you like to create small gift packages with your smalls, which will not be possible this year, due to the ornament format. If you would like to create a package to exchange with other stitchers, we will be hosting a Gift Exchange. All gifts should contain at least 1 handmade item, and at least $20 worth of gift goodies (this can include stitching items, home/lifestyle items, snacks, etc.) Please make sure gifts are appropriate for anyone to enjoy, and do not include lewd or inappropriate items. Your gift should be wrapped, and the wrapping should indicate the general theme of the contents. Please be sure to include your name, and social media/contact information so your exchange partner can find and thank you if they wish.
It’s always fun to keep mementos around from a retreat and new friends! We encourage you to bring a selection of needleminders and/or thread cards (purchased or handmade) to hand out and exchange with others at the retreat. We anticipate around 100 attendees, and will let you know if this number needs to be increased after the sales close for the retreat.
We ask that you do not consume meals in the stitching room. There is a dining area just outside of the stitching room with plenty of tables and chairs that you can use while consuming food. We ask this so there are no accidents that could damage yours or others needlework at the retreat. All beverages brought in must have a lid, and the lid kept on, and may not include alcohol. You are responsible for cleaning up after anything you consume, including any spills.
When booking your flight, you will want to choose MCI, which is the Kansas City International Airport. It is a 34 mile drive from the airport to the hotel. We recommend planning to share a ride with a fellow out of town stitcher, or ask within the facebook group if a local stitcher is willing to pick you up from the airport.
Hotel Codes, Registration, and the Facebook Group
- After purchasing this listing, you will receive a PDF to be downloaded. Please find all relevent information there including:
- A link to the registration form. YOU MUST FILL THIS OUT to be allowed admittance to the event itself. You must fill out the registration form no later than April 1 in order to receive items based on your preferences. If you use any other avenue of providing information about you or other guests attending the retreat (such as email), we cannot guarantee your preferences will be documented.
- At the bottom of the registration form will be a link to the facebook group. This group is for PAID ATTENDEES ONLY. It is where we will share upcoming information about the retreat. You can also ask questions, share plans and excitement for the Camp BNS retreat.
- Hotel booking information
Refunds and Payment Plan
You have 24 hours after purchase to cancel and receive a 94% refund (6% of your payment immediately pays for processing fees that we have no access to, and no ability to refund).
After the initial 24 hours, your first $150 payment is non-refundable.
You may cancel by April 30th to receive a 35% refund
You may cancel by June 1st to receive a 25% refund (No refunds will be given after this date).
- If you need to cancel, we encourage you to sell your spot within the Black Needle Society Buy/Sell/Trade group or to a friend in order to recoup your funds fully. You are responsible for all financial transactions if you choose to sell your spot. As the original attendee, it is your responsibility to contact BNSocietyHelp@gmail.com to replace your information with another stitcher’s. (Please also contact us if you need help selling your spot. We may be able to connect you with another stitcher on our waitlist, but we cannot guarantee it).